Thursday, November 8, 2012

Throwback Thursday / Mystery Readers

My sweet friend Traci over at
 
Dragonflies in First
 
recently wrote a little post that gave me a chuckle and got me thinking back.  19 years of teaching are sure to bring back some fun memories!  One of my friends ( and former parent from my past ) saw my facebook post about Where the Wild Things Are and commented...I remember when my son had visits from Zero the Hero.  { Her son is now a grown adult and married by the way }  Yes, that ages me a bit. :o/
Anyway I had to do a Throwback Thursday because Traci was posting about Miss Viola Swamp.  Well in 2008 I had the HONOR of teaching my own daughter and I came in as the Mystery Reader dressed as Miss Viola Swamp.  I acted like her and had the kids really second guessing.  LOL  It was great fun.  So I had to scan a page from my sweet daugter's memory book to show you'all. 
 
 
 Do you have a Mystery Reader program?  It's the best, the kids - parents - grandparents and even my former students just love it.
If you aren't sure what it is ---- let me explain.
Tell the parents about the program at back to school night and tell them if they or a special family member want to come in to email you and keep it a SECRET!!!
They will send you 5 clues - starting out very general.  I live in ____city.  To very specific by the end.  I have a pug...or I have a son in this class, etc.
The kids guess who it might be and I call down to the office to send the guest to my room.  I lay out the RED CARPET for them and they walk in and read a story to the class.  Sweetest thing ever and my students look forward to whenever we have one.  Here are some pics of some from the past.
A little girl's grandpa was in town and read to the kids.
 
Our cute crossing guard came in to read to us.
 
'
 
My awesome dad came in - that's me with my daughter too when she was in my class a while back.   
 
 
    
Our mascot the Jackson Coyote came in to read with us, that was AMAZING!!!
Here is a picture showing how we literally roll out the red carpet for our mystery reader guests.
 
{ I was actually featured in Education World - if you click on the picture it will take you to the article about me }
 
 
Try the program it's so fun for the kids and builds great community!  P.S. How do you like my updated blog design?
Alicia from Dreamlike Magic ROCKS!!!  If you need a new design check her out for sure!
 
 
 
 
 
Dreamlike Magic Designs

7 comments :

  1. Hi Vicky! Thanks for leaving us some love!! That is awesome that you were featured in Education World. I just read the article and like how you roll out the red carpet and hang a special sign for your mystery readers. Your students must be so excited on Mystery Reader days! I also love the new blog design! Take care!

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea. I love it!
    Barb
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE doing the Mystery Reader this year, the kiddos really enjoy it! And I must say, the Viola Swamp idea is BRILLIANT! I can't wait to do it! :) Thanks for sharing! And yes, I love the new blog look! Too cute!

    Mandi
    MOORE Fun In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your new look!!! And, Mystery Reader - how cool! Heading over to read your Education World feature now. :)
    Growing Firsties is having a Pete the Cat Giveaway that also donates to Hurricane Sandy Relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stop for coming by my page! You won my Christmas Craftivity. I wasn't able to find your e-mail address. But please e-mail me at justwildaboutteaching@gmail.com so I could send it to you. Congrats.

    justwildaboutteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mystery Reader program is such a fun idea.

    By the way - you are far too pretty to truly pull of being Miss Viola Swamp... just sayin'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Mystery Readers!! That sounds like so much fun!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete